To the parents the night before you have your first baby

motherhood101

Today one of my best friends from college is bringing her son into this world! She's jumped through numerous hurdles and surgeries to get to this point, one she's dreamed about. Every time I talk to her she's so positive and strong after these long and tiring years, I'm so incredibly proud and happy for her!

Last night I went to send Meg a text since I knew he'd be here today, something funny about how today would go but I had to pause mid thumb type. Tracen was crying because he was soooooo bored and Skylor was pulling on my hand yelling let me show youuuuu which really means, come with me to the fridge so I can tell you what I want to eat...again. I was frustrated because I just wanted a minute to send her a message but I couldn't because they needed me.

A couple hours passed and I was sitting down in my favorite part of the couch (the corner!) waiting for Jerek to come join me so we could stay up far too late and watch The Game of Thrones. I started to type out things like "get some rest, tomorrow is going to be amazing but exhausting!" and then I stopped. She didn't need to hear that. The past couple years of surgeries have been exhausting. The hours and days spent in doctor offices have been exhausting. The countless shots, medications and procedures have been exhausting. This, this was the exciting part! Being exhausted because you were up all night with a baby is nothing compared to how tired she's been in the past. She didn't need to hear me telling her things like that, so I deleted the text and started over.

Your lives have already changed forever as you've been growing this little guy for months now! Tomorrow everything is just set into play; things get more real and even more fun! You're going to be exhausted, you'll cry over literally nothing and everything at the same time! But if I can give you any advice it would be to smile every day you wake up. 

There will be really hard days, days you don't think you'll get through. And days where you don't want to put him to bed because he's just so much fun! Days where you want to kick Jason out of house and days where YOU just want to leave and sneak away from it all. But mostly there will be days of laughter and smiles, barfing and poop explosions! 

There will be days of firsts and lasts. Days you feel fat and days you think no one understands what you're feeling. Remember, you can always ask for help, whether it's someone close that can physically help or someone far away that is needed as a sounding board! Always ask for help, never feel bad about doing so. If you want Jason to do something, TELL HIM, he's no mind reader. I love you guys so incredibly much. I can't wait for you to feel the emotions we've been feeling over these last 5 years, they are incredible! It beats any other feeling in the entire world!

Our conversation went on as we talked about how we both were so excited and I couldn't wait to meet him this summer. After we said bye I thought about how long and hard the day was. The boys were exhausting; they literally were a whiny hot mess ALL.DAY.LONG. I was happy to finally sit on the couch and watch a show I wanted to watch and snuggle up with Jer. To not have to get anyone but myself a damn drink, that's the stuff you sometimes day dream about!

But as I've said before the days, months and years go by fast. Tracen starts kindergarten soon and Sky will be three in a few months. Life before them was fun and amazing but no one told me the night before I gave birth how truly wonderful it all would be. So remember to be kind in what you say to the expecting. They know they will be tired, they know it will be hard and they also know how exciting this journey will be!

Congrats Megan and Jason, this ride is a fun one <3 



2 comments

  1. the days are long but the years are short! So true everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love! I'm only four months into this whole thing, but I couldn't have said it any better.

    ReplyDelete