Skylor's Birth Story

It's only been six months since Skylor was born so I'm giving myself a big old pat on the back for getting this all down seeing as it took me two plus years to get Tracen's together.

Grab a coffee, some tissues and we will begin!

{If you follow me on Instagram you've already seen these}
pregnant_baby_boy
baby_boy_pregnancy
26-32_weeks_pregnant
33-37_weeks_pregnant

|MONDAY| July 15th: I had my 35 week check up and I was measuring right on schedule. I was 2cm dilated and starting to thin out. I just wanted to make it past 36 weeks this time. I just wanted to hold my baby after he was born and not have him rushed to the NICU. I was scared at this appointment, really scared. I didn't do anything all week but go to work and lay on the couch when I got home from work.

|FRIDAY| July 19, I was 35 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I called Jerek and we both left work around 1pm and met at the hospital. I was having contractions and I thought this might be it. I wasn't even 36 weeks yet, this was not happening. I ended up being extremely dehydrated and took almost 3 bags of fluids within 15 minutes. I was now dilated to 4cm and almost fully thinned out. Apparently no matter how much water I was drinking that walking up and down stairs in an automotive plant in the dead heat of July wasn't helping my case. The rest of the week I had a tumbler with me at all times and drank water while I peed, while I changed diapers, while I slept. Kidding.

|MONDAY| July 22, I had my 36 week appointment and they weren't sending me to labor and delivery. I made it, I got here, this is what I wanted! I was 4cm dilated and he was nice and low, any day now she said.

|FRIDAY| July 26th, I was 36 weeks and 4 days. We went to the hospital again after work as I had lots of pressure and could have sworn he was about to fall out of my cooka. It was my grandmas birthday so I was excited to see if he would share a birthday with her. I was sent home again as I was still at 4cm and not in fully active labor. I was annoyed, hot, sweaty and my hips were KILLING ME. The last time I was at the hospital I didn't want to have him, a week later I was pissed at them for not making this happen.  We came home and ordered pizza, relaxed and I bounced on my yoga ball ALL.NIGHT.LONG.

|SATURDAY| July 27th, I was 36 weeks 5 days. We went for walks down the block, bounced on yoga ball, slept, played as a family of 3 and just plain hung out. I was having contractions about every 5 minutes but then they would stop when I would lay down or baby got comfortable. I refused to go to the hospital and get sent home again so we waited. We went to our nephews 3rd birthday party and the boys played outside while I ate and bitched about how uncomfortable I was to anyone that would listen. I'm sure people were probably sick of me by then and just wanted me to have this baby.

|SUNDAY| July 28th, I was 36 weeks 6 days. It was Sunday family day and we headed out to one of our favorite places about a half hour away, duck pond as Tracen calls it. Downtown Rochester has a great park and we went and feed the ducks, let Tracen play on the playground and brought a picnic. That day we happen to run into our friends Amanda and Robbie and their 2 little girls. I was walking to the bathrooms to pee and that's when it really hit me, I was having to stop every few steps and focus on my breathing. I went to the bathroom and waddled back to the boys. Jer could tell I was in pain but we just watched Trace play and chatted away. We weren't out very long before I just wanted to go home and be in my own surroundings where I was comfortable and able to moan without people staring.

We made it back home and Trace took a nap while I bounced and concentrated on breathing. For the next few hours I did just that. Bounce, breathe, write down contraction time, repeat. We left to head to Jereks parents for Sunday night dinner around 5pm but brought our hospital bags just in case. We were ready this time. I didn't really eat dinner to be honest, a few bites but that was it. I couldn't even tell you what we made but if Amy was cooking, I'm sure it was delicious! At 8pm the contractions were about every 3 to 5 minutes apart and pretty intense. Jerek's mom said she thought we should go to the hospital so we did. The hardest part wasn't waddling to the car through a contraction, it was leaving Tracen.  Even though he was as happy as could be I was scared and sad for him. I was scared because I didn't want him to think we were leaving him and I was sad because I wasn't sure what he would think the next time he saw me, saw all of us. I was scared to be a mother of two even though this is all we wanted.

The drive wasn't too bad and we knew where to go since we had been twice in the past 10 days. I got checked and I was 5 1/2 cm dilated and 100% effaced. I was being admitted and having a baby. Jer called my mom, his mom and his sister. I had all three of them in the room when I had Tracen and I wanted all of them with me when we had Sky. Amy and I have an amazing relationship and she's the sister I never had, we also were going to ask her and her husband to be the God parents of both boys so it was a very special time. I was checked into my room and everything was so calming, so peaceful and dare I say perfect.  It was no secret that I wished so badly for this labor and delivery to be 100% different than Tracens. (If you want to know why, read Tracen's Birth Story). I know they say your first baby is the hardest because you don't know what you are doing but it wasn't that. I wanted it to be 100% different because I didn't want to relive the days and nights in the NICU.

After I got in my gown on and they checked on me and the baby, I was at a 6 and progressing nicely. I knew I wanted an epidural again and within 15 minutes the doctor was there and I was numb and more comfortable and relaxed. Jereks mom, my mom, Amy and Jer were surrounding me. We were whispering and laughing and reminiscing about Tracen's birth waiting for the doctor to get here from home as she was sleeping. I'm not sure if it was because we were at a different hospital this time or because it was almost midnight and all was quite, but the mood was so magical and so uplifting. My doctor came in around 1130pm and said hi. She said she would be back in an hour and would check me then. She left and we continued to chat and relax. I felt a little pressure but nothing painful. She came back and it was 1230am on July 29th. She said I was fully dilated and ready to push and his head was literally about to fall out! I laughed and said okay I'm ready! Amy and Jerek grabbed a leg and I pushed. The doctor told me to stop or he was going to fly out so I stopped and jokingly told her to tell me when I should go again because I couldn't really feel when the contractions was coming. 

Now is good.

I smiled, bared down and that was it. Two pushes, some smiles and laughter and just like that, we were a family of F O U R.

At 12:59am on July 29, 2013.  My chunky, beautiful baby boy was laying on my chest.  He was healthy and you could tell right away. His breathing wasn't like Tracens was and I felt a sense of relief. I kissed him, I smelt him, I looked at his fingers and counted his toes. His finger nails looked JUST like Jerek's dad, it was so cute. He was SO chunky! He had a little bit of dark hair, his lips were so plump and beautiful. He  looked at me and I whispered in his ear, you are perfect, and I meant every word of it.

The doctor smiled and said I did great. We announced his name and talked while the nurse cleaned him up and he wasn't taken away from me, he was right in my eye sight. We made bets as to how big he was, my mom had the highest and said 8lbs. The nurse laughed and said 8lb 6 ounces. Excuse me! How on earth did I just do that! I was pretty proud of myself, I'm not going to lie. Just think, he was 3 weeks early too, imagine how much bigger he could have been! All bundled up he was handed back to me. I was overwhelmed with joy and excitement. We took pictures and smiled and everyone went home while I showered and got ready to nurse and relax our new little babe. The next day and a half were great. I was up and walking, the food was great, no really it was! We were released on the 31st and went to pick up Tracen and begin life as a family of four.
 

I truly believe that God knew what I had gone through with Tracen's birth, that he thought I deserved an easier labor and delivery the second time around, so I thank you big man! That birth makes me want to have 10 more babies because it was that amazing! Aside from labor being so easy I have to say my favorite part was how wonderful the hospital was, how our room was just full of laughter, smiles and a beautiful calming feeling that came over me late that night. Everyone always asks if we want to try for a girl but all I want to do right now is be with my boys. These are my boys, my life, they complete me in a way I never thought I could be completed.
house_of_boys

No comments